List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: KDE Performance
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-15 6:04:18

what are you guys talking about?  i'm running qt-3.1.2/kde-3.1.1a off an nfs
share and it runs fine.  the nfs server that exports the kde dir is a pII 350
mhz machine with like 64 megs of ram...its ancient!  the computer i'm
actually running kde on is an athlon xp 1800+ with 512 megs of ram though.
i've always loved kde since kde-2.0.  it looks so much better than gnome and
it just seems more well thought out and organized.  why don't yall like the
qt framework?  i've done mfc programming, as well as qt programming and i
must say, qt is tons better than mfc (programming wise, i have no idea about
performance).  whatever gui toolkit gnome is based on isn't even c++ is it?
c++ is perfect for gui hierarchies (sp?)!  =)

i guess i'm a die hard kde fan that's always had the luxury of running it on
semi high end systems.  my one complaint is that when i move 1000+ messages
to the trash in kmail, it takes like 20+ seconds...but thats an nfs
thing...=(

dunno if this matters either, but my qt/kde is compiled from source.

anyways, i'm drunk and thats my 2 cents...=)

-- christopher