List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: KDE Performance
From:       Joseph A Nagy Jr <joseph_a_nagy_jr () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-05-15 5:44:31

Fred Whipple wrote:
>>I've never had problems with KDE being sluggish (especially
>>KDE3 for the
>>short time I was able to run it under Debian and the short
>>time I used
>>RH8.0). I find it odd that it's so slow for you on a better
>>equiped (RAM
>>wise) machine. I also don't have a very large SWAP (only
>>about 256MB). I
>>do agree though that KDE is definitly a great DE. I just wish it used
>>GTK+ instead of Qt. ;)
>

> Ok, ok, hiding my head in shame, I'll append my statement ;-)
>
> I've used Linux as a primary desktop since '96, have been using KDE since <
> 1.0, but switched to Windows XP a year ago.  Ouch!  I can feel the flogging
> already...

Bad bad Mr. Whipple! :-p It's okay, I have many a moment when I just
want to toss up Windows and say the fsck with it. I haven't a clue why I
stick with Linux (as sucky as I am at administering even my own system).
Possibly it's because I'm a masochist at heart. ;)

> I still use Linux on a second notebook on my desk (tied together using
> Synergy, best utility EVER!) and interacting with KDE on one machine and
> Windows XP on another machine makes KDE feel 1/10th the speed of XP.
> Switching to Gnome on the Linux machine has made the Linux machine "feel"
> much faster, and closer to the XP system.

I agree that Gnome does feel faster, but I don't feel that it's as
'intelligent' as KDE.

> So I wouldn't go so far as to say KDE is ineffably slow, just slow*er* than
> Gnome "feels" on the same machine.  Slow enough to breach the threshold of
> "annoying" when used on conjuction to an admittedly evil, but zippy, XP.

XP is fast, if you take away all that crappy themeing (on my parents XP
box I use the classic windows theme).

> Also, FWIW, I kinda like QT -- I wrote my one and only GUI application ever
> in QT.  Yep, you guessed it, an exact replica of the countdown timer on that
> guy's notebook from Independence Day :-)

I'm sure Qt has it's high points, but if it's making KDE slower, then
the KDE team needs to find something else instead of locking into one
language. I thought after all choosing Linux in the first place was for
a secure, stable (and occasionaly zippy) OS.

BTW, any way I can score a copy of the countdown timer (and possibly (if
I like it) stick it on one of my websites for download (with credit to
you of course))?