List:       redhat-list
Subject:    RE: KDE Performance
From:       Fred Whipple <fwhipple () imagineis ! com>
Date:       2003-05-15 6:45:33

> > I've used Linux as a primary desktop since '96, have been
> using KDE since <
> > 1.0, but switched to Windows XP a year ago.  Ouch!  I can
> feel the flogging
> > already...
>
> Bad bad Mr. Whipple! :-p

I deserve that :P

> > Also, FWIW, I kinda like QT -- I wrote my one and only GUI
> application ever
> > in QT.  Yep, you guessed it, an exact replica of the
> countdown timer on that
> > guy's notebook from Independence Day :-)
>
> I'm sure Qt has it's high points, but if it's making KDE slower, then
> the KDE team needs to find something else instead of locking into one
> language.

I don't believe it's QT making KDE pokey.  Rather, I believe it's the object
layers within the KDE libraries that make KDE pokey.  My experience with QT
applications -- those that use the QT library set only, and _not_ the KDE
libraries -- is that they're very fast.

QT's usage of the MOC pre-processor helps even more, as it dumps lots of
static code into your application rather than adding an object layer on top
of it.

> I thought after all choosing Linux in the first
> place was for
> a secure, stable (and occasionaly zippy) OS.

Having used Linux in production for about five years now, I would say that
Linux is a very (but not supremely) stable OS -- but I will concede that its
desktop interfaces don't meet the level of Windows or Mac OS if you score
each of them on both stability and usability at the same time.  That is, X +
twm + xterm is incredibly stable/fast, but isn't quite as usable (without
starting a flamewar) as, say, KDE.  KDE is more usable, but not as
stable/fast as X + twm + xterm.  I'd argue that Windows, Mac OS, BeOS (why,
WHY??) are usable _and_ fast, though neither are my first choice for
operating system level stability.  Who uses microkernels anymore, anyway?
;-)  Ah, it's late...

> BTW, any way I can score a copy of the countdown timer (and
> possibly (if
> I like it) stick it on one of my websites for download (with
> credit to
> you of course))?

I wish :-/  Despite being the coolest desktop utility every conceived by
man, it was written for QT 1.x.  When 1.y came out, it worked very strangly,
and I didn't update it.  When QT 2.x came about, it broke entirely.  It is
now lost in the bitbucket in the sky.

I've been toying with the idea of re-writing it in Java (talk about slow
UI).  But you know how these projects go.

	-Fred