List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: feature branch during freeze
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-09-08 12:15:16

On Wednesday 8. September 2010 09.41.34 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2010, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > First all, no one can prevent anyone to make his own branch, or a group
> > to make his own branch for any purpose, or to work on anything. We have
> > to acknowledge that some people have different agendas, different goal.
> >
> > At the end of the day, people who work on bug fixing will get the credits
> > to have made KOffice ready.

> > > And of experience; the last time it was clear that a large part of our
> > > regular contributor did not fix any bugs on the main branch.
> >
> > I guess, it varies from applications to applications... In Krita bugs
> > were fixed in trunk, otherwise you would get a spanking from its
> > maintainer. I suggest other maintainers do the same with their slav^D
> > euhm contributors. In other word, this branch is a *new-feature-only*
> > branch, people should not commit bug fixes there, they should commit it
> > to trunk. Hopefully, the game rule is clear.
>
> Exactly :-).
>
> Of course, for Krita this time everyone's focus is on polishing 2.3, since
> that's the big release that we're going to amaze the world with. But even
> so, I think that Pentalis wants to hack on a halftone brush -- so he would
> work on the branch.

Everyone can make their own decision; I suggest Pentalis use git-svn instead
as that is easier to cope with for one project.

The thead was to start a new feature branch for koffice features. I think we
should all support the "make 2.3 really really good" effort and actively
encourage people fixing bugs.  Creating a new branch for features goes in the
opposite direction.

So to follow up to Cyrilles point;  the rules are really clear now. Trunk is
closed for new features.  You are making the game plan unclear by starting a
feature branch.
--
Thomas Zander