List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: feature branch during freeze
From:       "LukasT.dev () gmail ! com" <lukast ! dev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-08 12:27:56

> > Of course, for Krita this time everyone's focus is on polishing 2.3,
> > since that's the big release that we're going to amaze the world with.
> > But even so, I think that Pentalis wants to hack on a halftone brush --
> > so he would work on the branch.
>
> Everyone can make their own decision; I suggest Pentalis use git-svn
> instead as that is easier to cope with for one project.

I want to develop features so that others can play&test them.
If I do that in git-svn, I don't have backup and I don't have a nice way to
manage the publishing of the patches. Branch is a way to go, I'm not going to
make trunk dirty.

> The thead was to start a new feature branch for koffice features. I think
> we should all support the "make 2.3 really really good" effort and
> actively encourage people fixing bugs.  Creating a new branch for features
> goes in the opposite direction.

If any developers (corporate or community) have plans for features, leave them
live their life. They also fix bugs. They are not encouraged to work on
features, they are encouraged to work on bugs with possibility to work on
features in branch which is maintained. Cool, nah?

This is open-source community, you can't make somebody fix bugs.
Sometimes I want to do some relax coding and that usually does not involve
fixing bugs but playing with brushes.

Anyway I stay on trunk due to bug fixing effort, but I wanted to show the use-
case for branch.