List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fine-grain KOffice source tree
From:       "LukasT.dev () gmail ! com" <lukast ! dev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-08 8:59:43

> > Have you got any wider implications in mind?
>
> Our libraries are far from stable so if libs and krita would be splitted it
> would likely happen that there will be changes in libs that will effect
> krita. If all is in one source dir such breakage is easy to spot and you
> will also find the places where e.g. a function is used in case you want
> to change it in the libs.

I understand that the libs are not stable, but I see this move as
little attempt to focus developers on learning&stabilizing the libs.

You can learn, that with this commit you break source compatibility
and with this one you broke binary one. It is acceptable now, but
it will be less acceptable when the libs will be more stable.

Krita developers will still care about kofficelibs.
If we spot the problem, we will try to find the solution with the commiter.
Krita would be just in different repositary.

> What I have heart from the thinks others have pointed out most of the
> things can be fixed without splitting the packages.

Most of the things can be fixed, but the solutions are sometimes not very nice.
I still feel that apps should be separated from libs like in kdevelop.
I don't know if any app like KWrite is developed inside kdelibs repositary.