List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kde3.4: calendar on imap folder through kmail
From:       Till Adam <adam () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-29 14:53:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 23 May 2005 12:28, Martin Fahrendorf wrote:
> Am Freitag, 20. Mai 2005 09:06 schrieb Till Adam:

> > > Is there soewhere in the net a documentation about the advantage
> > > and disatvantage of disconnected imap against normal imap?
> >
> > Might I humbly refer you to the interview they did with me on the dot
> > yesterday? I think there I've explained it reasonably well. Feel free
> > to ask if something remains unclear.
>
> So I understand the difference of disconnected impa and plain imap. But
> what is the reason to force the use of disconnected imap for using
> groupware functionality?
>
> As an example: On our company (and at my home server) the fileserver
> (where the home dir lives) and the mailserver are identical. So, if I
> want to use groupware functionality, kmail have to copy all the mails
> (with all those mailing list they get up to about 1 Gig) from the
> server to my home dir. The question is why? I see the advantages for
> road warriors, but for the others?

The reasons are implementational. Online imap is asynchronous, while dimap
allows synchronous access. Asynchronous operations increase the complexity of
the code massively, so I decided to not risk it for now. I tried for the
kolab1 resource, and it was quite a nasty hack.

Note that you can use either subscription or a separate account and ACLs to
only access your resource folders using dimap, and the rest using online
imap.

Till