List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kde3.4: calendar on imap folder through kmail
From:       Sophana Kok <sophana78 () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2005-05-30 14:37:30

Till Adam wrote:

>On Monday 23 May 2005 12:28, Martin Fahrendorf wrote:

>>>Might I humbly refer you to the interview they did with me on the dot
>>>yesterday? I think there I've explained it reasonably well. Feel free
>>>to ask if something remains unclear.
>>>

>>So I understand the difference of disconnected impa and plain imap. But
>>what is the reason to force the use of disconnected imap for using
>>groupware functionality?
>>
>>As an example: On our company (and at my home server) the fileserver
>>(where the home dir lives) and the mailserver are identical. So, if I
>>want to use groupware functionality, kmail have to copy all the mails
>>(with all those mailing list they get up to about 1 Gig) from the
>>server to my home dir. The question is why? I see the advantages for
>>road warriors, but for the others?
>>

>The reasons are implementational. Online imap is asynchronous, while dimap
>allows synchronous access. Asynchronous operations increase the complexity of
>the code massively, so I decided to not risk it for now. I tried for the
>kolab1 resource, and it was quite a nasty hack.
>
>Note that you can use either subscription or a separate account and ACLs to
>only access your resource folders using dimap, and the rest using online
>imap.
>
>Till

Maybe you should make the error message more clear, because it was not
easy to know that disconnected imap was necessary.
Maybe the imap folder selection dialog (misc groupware configuration)
should directly check if the selected folder is a DIMAP folder.

Appart from that, I like online imap features, because (in my opinion)
it uses less bandwidth.
I also like the instant message notification  (IDLE command) when it
works... I don't even know if kmail support IDLE command....?