List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Console usability
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-21 21:56:36

> >   alias 'rpm -i' ='rpm -iv'
>
> better yet: alias 'rpm -i' = 'rpm -Uvh'
True, I guess -U works even if the package has never been installed.  Good
point.

> hrm.. this would be extremeley difficult to get even moderately correct as:
>
>   o not everyone uses bash (!)
>   o not everyone puts their shell config in the same file
>   o not everyone's systems need/require/have the same commands
>
> i believe the raw shell will remain problematic for the new user (though a
> wonderful treasure for those willing to learn).
I couldn't agree more.  And to my mind a really good operating system helps
you learn with gradating levels of difficulty.  Are there (reasonably
implementable ways) that Konsole can step the user through this? - i.e., from
gui to console?
Tell you what - I'd love it if konsole helped me learn iptables!

I'm thinking of simple (and in this case sort of backwards) the equivalent of
	alias 'man'='khelpcenter man:/'
which is dumb (and slow) enough that it's not worth actually doing it.  But
ideas like this could e parsed in konsolerc and then passed to the shell...

Wasn't there "common console commands" gui which provides a gui for various
commands and options and then assembles them to be run by the console?  Could
this be revitalized?

All of these could work (and be turned off!) through a Control Center panel.
They would also be disabled by Kpersonalizer.
Thoughts?

EE