List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Console usability
From:       Christian Schrader <Christian.Schrader () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-08-21 23:03:05

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:56:36PM -0700, Eric E wrote:
> > i believe the raw shell will remain problematic for the new user (though a
> > wonderful treasure for those willing to learn).
> I couldn't agree more.  And to my mind a really good operating system helps
> you learn with gradating levels of difficulty.  Are there (reasonably
> implementable ways) that Konsole can step the user through this? - i.e., from
> gui to console?
> Tell you what - I'd love it if konsole helped me learn iptables!

<blink> konsole is a terminal is a terminal is a terminal... </blink>
...nothing than a terminal. Neither a shell nor a educational programm.

It's not the job of konsole to parse the .bashrc. If konsole starts the
bash the bash will parse it.

> I'm thinking of simple (and in this case sort of backwards) the equivalent of
> 	alias 'man'='khelpcenter man:/'
> which is dumb (and slow) enough that it's not worth actually doing it.  But
> ideas like this could e parsed in konsolerc and then passed to the shell...

One of the basic concepts of Unix is "one tool - one job". If you want that
alias put it in your ~/$SHELLrc.

Christian

--
Isn't vi that editor with two modes?
One that beeps and one that corrupts your files?