List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konsole in KDE 2.2
From:       Christian Schrader <Christian.Schrader () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-08-21 22:21:14

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 08:47:42PM +0100, S A Jarrett-Sprague wrote:
> 2. The 'toolbar' is not a 'taskbar', see your Konsole Handbook. When you
> right click on it you get a little menu saying 'toolbar menu'. From this menu
> you can reposition the toolbar, but there is no entry on the 'Settings' menu,
> unlike 'scrollbar', an oversight I think. I can't see any reference in the
> 'handbook' to 'right clicking' on the 'tool bar' to get a menu.

I meant the function of this bar. It acts as a taskbar/window list.
Indeed, I think it should be named after its function not after the used
C++-class  (KToolBar) bit this is not an important thing. I only wanted
to describe why (I think that) it's at the bottom of the window.

> You are going to have to help me on this one ... can you be more specific on
> what you are requesting konsole should do? I am afraid I have no experience
> of the programs, or the features, that you have mentioned.

Do you mean this?
> - It should be possible to release a terminal window and relink ist
>   later like it is possible in XChat.

Please look at http://www.xchat.org/files/screenshots/xc_shot4.png

In konsole (and xchat) you have some virtual windows, switchable by
buttons on the tollbar. They are collected by a window which you can
move on the desktop. In xchat it is possible to release every of the
virtual windows into an own window, eg to place it an another desktop.
And you can put it back to the grouped window (called "relink" there).

And there is another nice feature: it is possible to change the order of
the buttons. See the screenshot on the upper left corner:
- red cross: closes the window
- green arrows: move it left/right on the toolbar
- the other :) : release / relink

> - It would be nice to have something like gnu-client for konsole,
>   so that you can open new terminals inside a konsole from outside.

gnu-client is a tool for Emacs which allows it to open documents inside
an existing instance of emacs. If you do somthing like 'gnu-client foo'
than the file foo will be opened in the existing emacs. Its like
'netscape -remote $URL'.

bye
Christian

--
Isn't vi that editor with two modes?
One that beeps and one that corrupts your files?