List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Hide Menubar" proposal
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-02-18 20:19:33

Le ven 18/02/2005 à 18:15, Harijs Buss a écrit :
> Lovely ;-)  When I only started to use KDE, I somehow managed to loose menu
> bar several times, probably because of touching key shortcuts unknowingly. It
> was (then) for me quite a problem to get menu bar back ;-)  This "ghost of
> menu bar" you made would have been very helpful then.  I like it.

Yes, but what is the interest of hidding the menu bar if in fact it is
replaced by another bar.

Yes this ghost bar is smaller, but why a user would want to just gain a
few pixels?

There are two situations (IMHO) when the menubar hidding is a good
thing:
- When putting a window to take fullscreen (think F11 in Konqueror, or
  JuK when we are in a party and that the computer is ONLY used to play
  music then having the screen 100% reserved for JuK playlist, and menus
  aren't so useful: no need to edit id3 tags during parties...)
- When the menubar is not so useful in an app (think again to JuK: with
  well organized toolbars, all needed features are in it, so menubar can
  be hidden for a « more beautiful screen »)

In those two cases, have a small empty frame on top would not be so
beautiful. And they are the only both use cases I see to hidding the
bar.
Perhapse another option to disable the ghost menubar?