List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Toughts on the external taskbar
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-12-01 21:39:14

Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On December 1, 2004 3:25, Ra1n wrote:
>
>>Hello everybody,
>>Working to have a gnome-like setup of the kicker (two small bars, one at
>>the top, and a taskbar on the bottom) I've came to a odd thing:
>>why exists the external taskbar?
>>I find it odd, since the same task could be achieved by a child panel
>>and I cannot add buttons or applets on it,
>>Couldn't be better that the external taskbar entry remains (it's useful
>>to have it instead of creating a child panel and add applets to it)
>>but instead of using the external taskbar it creates a child panel with
>>the taskbar applet and the show desktop button
>

> people can indeed create this sort of set up; but the external taskbar has
> certain geometry advantages and simlpicities over  the child panel at the
> moment. once we have the ability to lock down individual panels and fix some
> of the geometry issues (in particular make it smarter about the distinction
> between preferredSize() and minimumSize() in applets) then we could indeed
> replace the external taskbar with a stock childpanel+taskbar applet.
>
> until then it's a moot point.
Oh ok I understand

>>I think that this keep panels configuration more coherent
>>Another thing on kicker, why not add an option to the kicker menu to
>>immediately hide(and show when you move the pointer near it) panels?
>

> no. the context menu should remain clean. it's already too messy.
I don't know, on the first level there are only five entries, so adding
an hide option shouldn't be a big problem
btw the hide/remove entries could be transformed into a dialog window (I
saw this in Ubuntu Linux, so gnome 2.8, it's useful but they use it only
for applets, we also have panels and icons, so I don't know if it could
be better, but it's an idea) the Dimension entry could be removed, and
stay in the configuration dialog, so here is the space for Hide entry
:-D, something like this:
Add to panel
Configure panel
Hide
Help +

>>I was working on a video with avidemux and because it's not possible to
>>resize it's window I had to hide panels to work, but when I close
>>avidemux I need to reopen panel config to make panels reappear.
>

> this is the "Automatically hide" option in the config dialog.
I know, usually I work with visible panels, but when I need more screen
space I want to hide the panels, and return them visible when I
finished, to do this now I have to go in the configuration dialog, put
the panels in automatically hide, close the dialog, and then do it again
  when I've done, so I suggested an entry in the panel menu that does
"automatically hide" for that panel

bye

Luca