Aaron Seigo wrote: > On December 1, 2004 3:25, Ra1n wrote: > >>Hello everybody, >>Working to have a gnome-like setup of the kicker (two small bars, one at >>the top, and a taskbar on the bottom) I've came to a odd thing: >>why exists the external taskbar? >>I find it odd, since the same task could be achieved by a child panel >>and I cannot add buttons or applets on it, >>Couldn't be better that the external taskbar entry remains (it's useful >>to have it instead of creating a child panel and add applets to it) >>but instead of using the external taskbar it creates a child panel with >>the taskbar applet and the show desktop button > > > people can indeed create this sort of set up; but the external taskbar has > certain geometry advantages and simlpicities over the child panel at the > moment. once we have the ability to lock down individual panels and fix some > of the geometry issues (in particular make it smarter about the distinction > between preferredSize() and minimumSize() in applets) then we could indeed > replace the external taskbar with a stock childpanel+taskbar applet. > > until then it's a moot point. Oh ok I understand > > >>I think that this keep panels configuration more coherent >>Another thing on kicker, why not add an option to the kicker menu to >>immediately hide(and show when you move the pointer near it) panels? > > > no. the context menu should remain clean. it's already too messy. I don't know, on the first level there are only five entries, so adding an hide option shouldn't be a big problem btw the hide/remove entries could be transformed into a dialog window (I saw this in Ubuntu Linux, so gnome 2.8, it's useful but they use it only for applets, we also have panels and icons, so I don't know if it could be better, but it's an idea) the Dimension entry could be removed, and stay in the configuration dialog, so here is the space for Hide entry :-D, something like this: Add to panel Configure panel Hide Help + > > >>I was working on a video with avidemux and because it's not possible to >>resize it's window I had to hide panels to work, but when I close >>avidemux I need to reopen panel config to make panels reappear. > > > this is the "Automatically hide" option in the config dialog. I know, usually I work with visible panels, but when I need more screen space I want to hide the panels, and return them visible when I finished, to do this now I have to go in the configuration dialog, put the panels in automatically hide, close the dialog, and then do it again when I've done, so I suggested an entry in the panel menu that does "automatically hide" for that panel bye Luca _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability