List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Toughts on the external taskbar
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-01 17:50:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 1, 2004 3:25, Ra1n wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> Working to have a gnome-like setup of the kicker (two small bars, one at
> the top, and a taskbar on the bottom) I've came to a odd thing:
> why exists the external taskbar?
> I find it odd, since the same task could be achieved by a child panel
> and I cannot add buttons or applets on it,
> Couldn't be better that the external taskbar entry remains (it's useful
> to have it instead of creating a child panel and add applets to it)
> but instead of using the external taskbar it creates a child panel with
> the taskbar applet and the show desktop button

people can indeed create this sort of set up; but the external taskbar has
certain geometry advantages and simlpicities over  the child panel at the
moment. once we have the ability to lock down individual panels and fix some
of the geometry issues (in particular make it smarter about the distinction
between preferredSize() and minimumSize() in applets) then we could indeed
replace the external taskbar with a stock childpanel+taskbar applet.

until then it's a moot point.

> I think that this keep panels configuration more coherent
> Another thing on kicker, why not add an option to the kicker menu to
> immediately hide(and show when you move the pointer near it) panels?

no. the context menu should remain clean. it's already too messy.

> I was working on a video with avidemux and because it's not possible to
> resize it's window I had to hide panels to work, but when I close
> avidemux I need to reopen panel config to make panels reappear.

this is the "Automatically hide" option in the config dialog.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric