List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: for when apps fail to start
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2003-12-31 14:42:35

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 05:56 am, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> Dun you hate when you start an application from the K menu or the desktop,
> but the window simply doesn't open?  Sometimes apps fail to start, and that
> is a fact of life + =(

I actually wish the "launch feedback" could be a little more intelligent.  For
example: when an application terminates, why can't it detect this and stop
the hour glass?  I'm guessing this is a UNIX, rather than a KDE, problem.

>  But sometimes I need to open the app in a konsole window to actually see
>  what happened, in the  konsole window, by peeking at the stderr
>  output.  Wouldn't it be great to have it show discreetly when the app fails
>  to start or bombs out?

Here's a possible scheme: first, detect if the application links to Xlib.  If
so, assume it will open a window.  If it terminates without opening a window,
pop up your error dialog.

Also, it'd be nice to automatically pop up a console window for non-Xlib apps,
unless otherwise specified.  This makes them more useful (and able to be run
from the icon when browsing say /bin).

Luke Sandell