List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [OT] Re: Fonts on Linux (Was: menus: icons and text)
From:       Simon Perreault <nomis80 () nomis80 ! org>
Date:       2003-12-31 16:04:30

On December 30, 2003 19:08, Luke Sandell wrote:
> This only occurs when AA is on. That's OK, though.  I can just turn of AA -
> good fonts don't need it anyway, apparently.

This is another font myth. ;) AA improves legibility at all sizes. Hinting
improves legibility at small sizes, when the width of a line should take only
one pixel. The effect of AA is not nullified when you use hinting: it only
makes it even better.

That's what Microsoft tells you though, and maybe it's related to the fact
that they turn off hinting in Windows for small font sizes. I think they
decided to do it this way because it's much faster to render, and they had
the possibility to do full AA when computers weren't fast enough. In Windows
XP, when you use the ClearType option (which is a form of sub-pixel AA that
works on LCD screens), it turns on AA for all fonts. I think they assume that
when you have an LCD, your computer is fast enough to draw all fonts AA.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80@nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org