List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: for when apps fail to start
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-12-31 11:37:09

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 10:56, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> Dun you hate when you start an application from the K menu or the desktop,
> but the window simply doesn't open?  Sometimes apps fail to start, and that
> is a fact of life + =(
> Technically it could be done with all this startup notification things on
> the .desktop files, at least for them, although I'd love to see it work on
> programs started directly from minicli / krun.  All that needs to be done
> is to tee the stderr output of the app, and when the "failed to start"
> condition is detected, present it in the form of a kpassivepopup or some
> sort of balloon pointing to the notification button on the taskbar, or
> perhaps a small icon on the tray.

It's a great idea, but to do it you'd need to know all of the fail conditions
of each application, and be able to recognise when some applications don't
fail but simply "detach" from their parent process. Unless there's a better
way, we would need to maintain a huge library of failure conditions for
different applications, and for their different versions.

That, or we simply support the majority of applications that don't print
anything to STDERR when working perfectly well, and only look for STDERR
output. Or we only support KDE apps, whose failure conditions we can control.

Tom