List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New app name : KName or KNames ?
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2003-12-27 3:56:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Era Quarta 24 Dezembro 2003 20:48, e o Sebastien Laout escreveu:

> So "Basket" is a quite great name.
>
> => But in my application I also use "basket" to describ the... baskets
> (!).
> User could be confused with "Basket" (the app) and "basket" (the object)
> ? And if "basket" is the first word of a sentence it will be writen
> "Basket", as the app name :-/
> Isn't it a usability problem ?
> I think it's confusing !

Well, when you refer to the aplication "Basket", it's a proper name so you
refer to it simply as "Basket", as in "You can use Basket to...". However if
you refer to the object "basket" you say "a basket", as in "You can use a
basket to...". I don't think it will be confusing in english. I'm not so sure
about the translations though. In portuguese, the two examples above would
translate to something like "Podes usar o Cesto para..." e "Podes usar um
cesto para...". Food for thought, I guess...

--
Rui Malheiro				Edifício Empresarial 3 - Sala 2.09
Director Técnico				Pólo Tecnológico de Lisboa