List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: kde guide systray update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:50:05

On Monday 03 February 2003 22:30, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Datschge,
> Your updated guidelines look good.
>
> One gotcha the document doesn't address is the interaction of services
> represented in the system tray with session management.  For example when I
> set session managment to "empty session" in the control panel, KAlarmd,
> Klipper, and laptop battery monitor still come up.  The battery monitor
> should probably not be tied to session management, but what about the
> others? This is not intended as rhetorical question, BTW.

Based on the following phrase in these updated guidelines:

"Systray applications are so called GUI daemons, i.e. they are
<b>automatically started</b> as part of KDE's start up (without showing
anything but its systray icon) and represent services [snip]"

I would say that they should not be part of session management sessions.

> In any event, I think the systray guidelines should work in tandem with the
> session management guidlines.  Do we have session management guidelines,

No, not really.

Cheers,
Waldo
--