List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: systray interfaces
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-02-03 21:38:24

Eric Ellsworth wrote:

> > I would rather like to see it integrated in the time applet. It simply
> > starts to show your "personal" time.
>
> An interesting idea.  This means the scheduling messages "come from"  the
> clock.  Are you comfortable with that?

Yes :) Like it is with the alarm clock next to my bed. Its ringing is
just a very primitive kind of scheduling message, one I sent myself, but
the usage scheme stays the same, doesn't it?

> > Or better, to satisfy users who don't use an organizer, have an extended
> > time applet especially for korganizer, or a time applet with an
> > organizer interface.
>
> > Pros:
> > + saves screen estate
> Definitely a pro...
>
> > + conjuncts related terms
> Not sure.  If they're joined in a clear way, yes it's a pro.  If they're
> joined in a confusing way, it could make things much worse.

Okay, here I miss a good proposal. But I think there is hope... ;)

> Other doubts:
> How do you handle the fact that you now have a configuration menu which has at
> least 4 separate configuration items (clock config, adjust date & time, date
> and time format, and alarm client)?
> What space does the icon have to notify the user of messages?

Possible visual markups for new messages:
* another background color
* blinking time
* small icon somewhere in the display

But right now I fear that I'am not very sure what you and me call
"scheduling message" (have to admit I never used a multiuser scheduling
system). I thought of schedule reminders ("Meeting in 1 minute! Prepared
the slides?"). That is where I got the parallel to the alarm clock.
But perhaps you think in terms of schedule invitations (via instant
messaging or email?), right? Well, I would separate those things to some
central "inbox", which of course does not fit in the traditional term of
an alarm clock. And would result in an extra applet or systray icon,
right :(

But nonetheless I would like some more integration of the time applet
and organizer data. But I miss knowledge about the actual KDE 3.1 so I
will stop here (for now :)

Friedrich