List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: kde guide systray update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-03 23:17:27

On Sunday 02 February 2003 01:15, Datschge@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello =)
> Attached in this email you can find a first draft of my proposed
> update for
>
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/systray.h
>tml Corrections and further comments are welcome and wanted. =)

I would stress the purpose of a systray thingy a bit more, something like:
"The purpose of a systray entry is to have a non-intrusive user interface
presence that is always available to the user."

This implies that no specific action (e.g. application launch) should be
required to get it, but that it is autostarting by definition. (You mention
that already) (Always there, time wise)

And it implies that it by definition has a "on all desktops" behaviour.
(Always there, spatially) That's pretty much inherent to the current
implementation but I think that usability wise that is an important factor.

[Warning: Freewheeling starts here]

Now, the konsole button that I have on my panel is also a "non-instrusive user
interface presence which is awlays available". So appearantly there is some
additional criteria that makes that you want to use a systray entry instead
of a panel button. Not sure what that is, but I think it should be something
like that the systray entry should be tied to a dynamic process (in the sense
of "events that happen without the user's intervention", not in the sense of
"unix process") and that the systray entry either provides a visual status
indication of that process or that the systray entry provides instant access
to that process.

The latter part is a bit weak IMO because "instant" is a very fluid term and
very much defined by implementation constraints. Ideally I should be able to
start my konsole instantly by pressing the earlier mentioned button, and if
that is indeed the case, I should be able to start a "GUI that provides
access to a dynamic process" as a seperate application instantly as well,
without the need for a systray applet.

In fact a possible implementation to achieve nearly instant app launch would
be to make panel buttons that "start applications" by making a dcop call to
an already running background process. So instant access is not a strong
argument that would justify a systray entry as opposed to a regular panel
button IMO.

Just some freewheeling thoughts, your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com