List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Q++
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2006-11-02 20:48:09

Hey all,

One thing I've been thinking about is "Q score" with KDE.

For those not familiar, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_score

A lot of advertising and promotion is done based on the concept of
Q-Scores.  Like page-ranking with Google, people spend a lot of time,
brain power and money to figure out how to quantify popularity.

How do actors get starring movie roles?  How to choose which famous
althete to endorse your product in a commercial?  How to determine to
buy advertising space?  Do 12 year old girls like NSync or the
Backstreet Boys more? You'll probably involve Q scores.

For this particular system, it's about familiarity and appeal.  That's
a logical 'and' condition to the best of my knowledge.  You need both
to get a good score.

Everyone knows George Bush, but he's not that popular.  Not many know
about that little pub near your house (thank goodness), but the people
that do just love it.  Neither might get a high Q score.

Now, I'm not here to debate the merit or accuracy of Q scores.  It's
pretty cold and calculating to say that Starlette A is 4% more
likeable than Starlette B with middle-aged housewives, so we're
putting Starlette A in this movie.

But the general idea of thinking about KDE and Q scores is what I'm
going to dub Q++.  Improving our familiarity and appeal.  A decent
amount of people that come into contact with KDE and its community
like KDE, but not many do and not many know KDE.

I'd ask people to think about what types of elements and interactions
go into improving KDE's popularity and appeal.  And the
correlation/causation between the two.

Good product + Good community + Good user relations + good promotions
= success.  Throw in some other variables if you want.

What are some concrete things we can do (code of community conduct,
standardized ways to approach users in IRC and mailing
lists...whatever) to Q++?

Some main concepts of marketing are Promotions and Packaging.  In our
case, the package may often be our community, and the people that
comprise it.  The first impression of KDE might not be a TV commercial
or a glossy box on a shelf, it's a KDE user in person, in IRC, etc.
We're the packaging and the first impression, so don't minimize how we
act and are perceived (enthusiasm is contagious).

Wade