List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in german  Heise-Forum
From:       Mirko Boehm <mirko.boehm () home ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 5:19:30

On Thursday 21 February 2002 02:22 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2002 01:48 am, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > And KDE e.V. I know about Martin Konold, Chris Schläger, Mirko.
> > Anyone else?
>
> The board of KDE e.V. consists of Chris Schlaeger, Kurt Granroth, Mirko
> Boehm and Preston Brown. Mirko is the treasurer.
>
> KDE e.V. has 46 members, /me being one of them.
>
> > At german expos we so far received and are receiving money by KDE e.V. I
> > asked where the money comes from, but I got only very vague answers.
> > I also got the information that it is not very much.
>
> KDE e.V. receives its money primarily in the form of one-time donations
> either from individuals or companies. There are some companies that donate
> a part of the profit on KDE related articles to KDE e.V. (On the KDE
> website it is listed when a company promises to do that I believe.) This
> year KDE e.v. also received some prize money associated with prizes won by
> KDE.
>
> Basically KDE e.V. does not have any substantial source of structural
> revenue. Nor is KDE e.V. actively involved in raising funds at the moment.
> As far as I know all donations are initiated by the donor.
This is true. But keep in mind that there seems to be an agreement that saying
we are open source and begging for money too loud does not seem to fit.

> Some large donations are listed on http://www.kde.org/thanks.html (I don't
> which time-frame this covers though, cvs should be able to tell you) There
> are also donors that wish to remain anonymous.
It is pretty old. But especially the donators that are not related to
companies usually do not want to be announced.
> Most of the money spent by KDE e.V. is spent on reimbursing travel costs
> for developers who attend events to represent KDE. The policy is that
> organizers of events should reimburs KDE representatives but in cases where
> that is not feasible KDE e.V. is usually able to step in.
>
> To qualify for reimbursement by KDE e.V. you need to send a request to
> Mirko for approval before the event takes place. In general Mirko will
> reimburse you afterwards after receiving your receipts but if you can not
> afford to pay for your travel upfront it's possible to seek for other
> arrangements.
>
> > Well, maybe we should all forget about the idea, to steadily get some
> > money by "official KDE" to organize events and to have a transparent
> > procedure for this.
I think there is nothing intransparent here. Everybody KDE contributor may
become a KDE e.V. member. Everybody member may ask for reimbursements and
will get money if the board majority agrees.
The board is elected and notified to the public. For unfortunate but
understandable reasons, the majority of the board has to focus on other
priorities. That leaves me to keep up the job, but at least we get together
for voting before money gets spend.

Is that not transparent? Even what I just said is notified to the public.

> I prefer to see the "official KDE" better organized.
I fully agree. And I think KDE e.V. is quite appropriate. IMHO, by still
working after quite a number of people are forced to put their time in other
projects, it proved that it is of use.
And I do not see KDE e.V. in the responsibility to do kde-promo work, sorry.
This is what the KDE League was formed for. We might pay for expenses,
though, despite that our whole budget is too little for the marketing world.

Byebye,
--Mirko.