List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in german  Heise-Forum
From:       Chris Schlaeger <cs () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-02-22 12:17:46

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:48:07AM +0100, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> So the only thing I would like to ask you for is this: Please beg the others,
> esp. KDE e.V. to answer all the open questions.
>
> Who are the other members anyways?
> In KDE League I know about you and Chris Schläger.

Eirik Eng, CEO of TrollTech.

> And KDE e.V. I know about Martin Konold, Chris Schläger, Mirko.
That's actually Preston Brown, Kurt Granroth, Mirko and me. Preston
pretty much resigned when he became the head of Red Hat Labs.

> Anyone else?
>
> After reading all the mails here I have the impression that we need to ask
> KDE e.V. not KDE League.
> At German expos we so far received and are receiving money by KDE e.V. I
> asked where the money comes from, but I got only very vague answers.
> I also got the information that it is not very much.

KDE e. V. was founded because a legal counterpart to TT was needed
when the Free QT Foundation was setup. When Qt was GPL'ed this role
became obsolete and KDE e. V. hasn't done much since. It's a very loosely
organized club of KDE hackers, mostly those who attended KDE II, the
last meeting of KDE e. V.

Currently KDE e. V. accepts donations. This isn't much. We currently
hold about USD 10k as a backup in case SourceForge disappears. This is
money donated by IBM to buy IBM hardware in case we need it. For
events like LinuxTag KDE e. V. reimburses travel costs in the order of
USD 50 - 100 which roughly corresponds to the donations we get from
users.

So all in all it's so little money that we cannot afford a booth on a
show even if we spend all the money we have. That's the reason why
it is impossible to sponsor show events on a larger scale.

The situation with the League is a little better. The membership fees
are enough to create some decent press releases and do a little bit of
other work. That's basically what Andreas is doing and you can hardly
claim that his actions aren't visible or open enough.

Eirik and me don't do much. At least this is not very visible. I get
about 150 - 200 personal emails a day. Most of them fortunately just
require a yes or no answer or no answer at all. During busy weeks I
sometimes don't have a chance to read mails for several days. In short
I'm fairly busy. Nevertheless I'm doing quite a lot for KDE. Right now
I'm organizing the KDE hacker bugfix meeting here in Nuernberg to
finish KDE 3.0.

TrollTech and SuSE are sponsoring a meeting where about 25 KDE hackers
have been invited to have a meeting to fix the remaining bugs for KDE
3.0. The meeting will start on Tuesday next week and will last for a
week. By then KDE 3.0 is hopefully mostly ready for release.

Now if you feel KDE needs better promotion than do something about it.
The League relies on volunteers just as much as the development does.
If _YOU_ don't do it, nobody will. _THIS_ is the forum where PR work
is discussed and organized. You might use the KDE League as an
umbrella for your work in case this is helpful, but the League won't
do the job for you.

Chris