List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       "Chris Altmann" <altmann () rcsis ! com>
Date:       2001-07-28 6:03:20

Jim Conner <jconner83@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The MS Paperclip was retired, thank god.  I'm not sure what the icon would
be
> on the desktop, maybe a large yellow question mark.  The format/look&feel
of
> the program would be the same as the KDE Help program that is already in
> existence.  This would be task-oriented on the left, rather than just a
> repository of all help docs that are on the machine and on the right would
> have the simple explanations of how to accomplish the task with
pictures(if
> necessary).  What to include here and what not to include here would be up
> for debate.  IMHO, I think it should include things that are very basic in
> using and personalizing KDE.  In other words, things that are covered in
the
> 'Windows 9x Tour' animation.  This will not be in animation format, but in
> question/answer format.  I'm just looking for a solution that will enable
> new-users to not be intimidated by seeing KDE for the first time.

They lied. I can get Clippy in two clicks in Windows XP. They only turned
him off by default. He's still there, waiting for a chance to intrude.

I mentioned what Windows XP is doing in this area in a nother post. Office
XP has a variation on this scheme called Task Panes. They are dockable panes
to the left or right of the document that in some cases act as wizards.

I think your idea, with a always-on-top windows styled as an interactive
reference card, but where the user actually performs the actions on the real
UI, would be a good way to go.

The problem with MS's method (mainly a problem with Clippy, much less so
with task panes) is that if you don't use the aids, you don't see the same
interface to do it on your own as you did when theye were there to help. If
Clippy was on and you quite with unsaved changes, he would ask if you wanted
to save in his own cartoon bubble. If he was disabled, the standard dialog
would ask the same (possibly worded slightly different) question. I think
its best to have the user use the real interface and keep the guide separate
but close at hand. It makes it easier to handle as a separate KDE project as
well.