List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 6:55:39

Torsten Rahn wrote:
> I had EXACTLY the same experience at the multimedia-fairs where I have
> attended for four days and on Cebit where I was for two days. The
> most-frequently-heard question was:
>
> "Does it work like Windows?".
>
> And this was obviously a live-or-die-criterium for these IT-people who
> mostly were in important positions at big and well-known companies.
> Exactly NOBODY asked me about MacOS and nobody cared about it once
> I spoke about MacOS.
>
> And many people asked us the same question:
>  "why do you make it extra hard for us just to be different?"

Torsten, I've gone to quite a few conferences now and talked to
hundreds of people.  I have NEVER, not even ONCE, been asked this
question.  *NEVER*

> An incredible huge reason for KDEs SUCCESS in the past has been that
> it looks and works like Windows. Competing projects which have
> focussed on "being different for the only reason of being different"
> have been dismissed as "developers dreams" (And this is certainly
> not because of using a language like C).

KDE has never tried to be exactly like Windows... it tries to be
intuitive for users that *have* used Windows and Macs, but it hardly
toes the line.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix