List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Dirk Hennig <Dirk.Hennig () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-04-27 6:19:07

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> First, the Mac menubar is proven to be up to FIVE times faster for
> searching and selecting a menu item.  This is as opposed to the
> windows-style menubar which is attached to each window.  If you want
> to get technical, this is due to Fitts Law

But what about the time you need to get back to the window you work in? It will sure take
longer, because it has a longer distance. So if there really is a speedup, then ist will
be about 1.5.
But I have a lot of other problem with this.
1) I'm not used to it.
2) With Windows-Menubars I know to which window they belong.
3) I like a very low mouse-acceleration, so your "throw mouse to top" would have to be
physical and my mouse would wander to the top of my mousepad until it falls off :-(
4) What if you have more then one window open and the "focus follows mouse" is enabled (I
like this: it is faster, because you need no click). In the moment you move to the menu,
the focus changes to a totally different window, the menu changes and you just can't do
what you wanted to!!! Or you will have to move your mouse to the top without touching an
other window (if possible). This can't be fast!

In short: I hate Mac-Menus and for me it's one of the reasons not to by an Apple, so I
really don't want to have them default in KDE.

Dirk