List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Fwd: KDE 2.2 upgrade
From:       Pam R <pam.roberts () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-09-03 18:00:43

On Saturday 01 September 2001 10:17 pm, Brett I.Holcomb wrote:
>  I know there have been other posts on this subjects (I saw them in the
>  archive) but I need to add my comments and maybe get some feedback.
>
>  I am running Caldera Workstation 3.1 which came with KDE 2.1.  Last night
> I UPGRADED to KDE 2.2 using the Caldera Workstation 3.1 RPM from the KDE
> ftp site - this is not a vendor package nor did I build it - it is a KDE
> package so I didn't mess up a build.
>
>  Since the upgrade I've never skde-linuxeen the KControl backtrace dialog
> so much and  last night I did more fschks then I've done in a year because
> of the desktop hanging so badly NO mouse or keystrokes worked.   Good thing
> I wasn't running a MS system or I'd have reinstalled 20 times!   Either I
> did something wrong or there are some serious problems here.
>
>  According to the readme that was in the KDE RPM I needed to do the
> following (a directory on my system called kde22 contains the directories
> downloaded from KDE)
>
>  rpm -U qt2/*
>  rpm -i libxmlkde/*
>  rpm -i pcre/*
>  rpm -U kdelibs/* kdebase/*
>
>  I did that and then did each package in turn checking the dependences
>  first. I did NOT force the install.

I also upgraded eW3.1 to KDE 2.2, doing just what you said you did (although
I did do it from a Ctrl-Alt-F1 text console and did shutdown -r now when I'd
finished) and haven't had any real problems

>  In addition to the problems above I now have:
>
>  1.  Sound is messed up.  I no longer get startup and shutdown sounds.  I
>  can play a CD (only with kscd) but XMMS won't play wave files and the new
>  media player (noatun) never will start - it gives a spinning disk on the
>  task bar then disappears forever (I don't see it in the task list).  I
> have a Santa Cruz card and sound worked perfectly before this.

Works for me.

>  2.  Control Center says Information "No information on the sound card"
> even as root.

Same here

[snip]

>  6.  The permissions for /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio*, and /dev/mixer* keep
>  getting set back to rw by root only.   I had them setup so all could use
>  them (chmod a_rw ...).  It appears to happen after a reboot and I
>  understand it may be related to some scripts called givedesktop and
>  takedesktop but I can't find the  scripts.

/etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole  and /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole (note the
capitalisation)

HTH

Pam
--