List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Fwd: KDE 2.2 upgrade
From:       "Brett I.Holcomb" <bholcomb () cableone ! net>
Date:       2001-09-03 13:24:56

> I also upgraded eW3.1 to KDE 2.2, doing just what you said you did
> (although I did do it from a Ctrl-Alt-F1 text console and did shutdown -r
> now when I'd finished) and haven't had any real problems

I shutdown, rebooted and went directly to run level 3 as root and installed
it, too.  From another post it appears that you have to wipe out some files
in ~/.kde2 as they conflict.  I haven't tried that yet.  I may create a new
user and see if all his stuff works.
> >  1.  Sound is messed up.  I no longer get startup and shutdown sounds.  I
> >  can play a CD (only with kscd) but XMMS won't play wave files and the
> > new media player (noatun) never will start - it gives a spinning disk on
> > the task bar then disappears forever (I don't see it in the task list).
> > I have a Santa Cruz card and sound worked perfectly before this.

> Works for me.

Maybe because of not deleting file?

> >  2.  Control Center says Information "No information on the sound card"
> > even as root.
>
> Same here

Okay maybe that's normal then.

> [snip]
>
> >  6.  The permissions for /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio*, and /dev/mixer* keep
> >  getting set back to rw by root only.   I had them setup so all could use
> >  them (chmod a_rw ...).  It appears to happen after a reboot and I
> >  understand it may be related to some scripts called givedesktop and
> >  takedesktop but I can't find the  scripts.
>
> /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole  and /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole (note the
> capitalisation)

If this is supposed to happen then that's fine - I was just worried because
it was something different and with all the problems I'd had.

> HTH

Thanks.

--

Brett I. Holcomb