List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Problems upgrading KDE v2.1.1 to v2.2
From:       Phillip Pi <philpi () apu ! edu>
Date:       2001-09-03 18:29:47

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Phillip Pi wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I am having problems to upgrade my KDE fully from v2.1.1 to v2.2 with
> > RPM files in Red Hat Linux v7.1 (with Kernel v2.4.9). I was able to
> > upgrade a bunch of dependcies and KDE files from noarch/ nonkde/ and kde/.
> > I got these RPM files from ftp.kde.org (/i386 and RedHat directories).
> > Here's what left that I am stuck with:

[snipped]

> > I tried different methods to install them (i.e. --nodeps to force and
> > ignore the dependencies problems, try to upgrade invidiual library
> > and components invidviduall, etc.). Nothing seems to work.
> >
> > Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am still considered a
> > Linux newbie. I wished KDE had an auto-updater like Ximian's Red-Carpet
> > program to avoid the manual upgrade.
> >
> > I look forward to receiving a reply soon. Thanks! :)
>
> I would suggest that you really don't need to install all of that KDE
> and QT stuff, at least to start with.
>
> But in any case, to solve the RPM problem, INSTALL, not Upgrade, the RPM
> packages:
>
> 	rpm  -ihv  rpm*4.0.3-0.91.*  --replacefiles

JRT, thank you for the quick reply. Just a question: After I installed the
rpm-4... RPM, I have two RPM now (rpm -q rpm): rpm-4.0.2-8 and
rpm-4.0.3-0.91. RPM still seems to work, but I am not sure if I am
supposed to have two RPM installations? Is this normal? I will
upgrade/install the rest of the packages later.