On Saturday 01 September 2001 10:17 pm, Brett I.Holcomb wrote: > I know there have been other posts on this subjects (I saw them in the > archive) but I need to add my comments and maybe get some feedback. > > I am running Caldera Workstation 3.1 which came with KDE 2.1. Last night > I UPGRADED to KDE 2.2 using the Caldera Workstation 3.1 RPM from the KDE > ftp site - this is not a vendor package nor did I build it - it is a KDE > package so I didn't mess up a build. > > Since the upgrade I've never skde-linuxeen the KControl backtrace dialog > so much and last night I did more fschks then I've done in a year because > of the desktop hanging so badly NO mouse or keystrokes worked. Good thing > I wasn't running a MS system or I'd have reinstalled 20 times! Either I > did something wrong or there are some serious problems here. > > According to the readme that was in the KDE RPM I needed to do the > following (a directory on my system called kde22 contains the directories > downloaded from KDE) > > rpm -U qt2/* > rpm -i libxmlkde/* > rpm -i pcre/* > rpm -U kdelibs/* kdebase/* > > I did that and then did each package in turn checking the dependences > first. I did NOT force the install. > I also upgraded eW3.1 to KDE 2.2, doing just what you said you did (although I did do it from a Ctrl-Alt-F1 text console and did shutdown -r now when I'd finished) and haven't had any real problems > In addition to the problems above I now have: > > 1. Sound is messed up. I no longer get startup and shutdown sounds. I > can play a CD (only with kscd) but XMMS won't play wave files and the new > media player (noatun) never will start - it gives a spinning disk on the > task bar then disappears forever (I don't see it in the task list). I > have a Santa Cruz card and sound worked perfectly before this. > Works for me. > 2. Control Center says Information "No information on the sound card" > even as root. > Same here [snip] > > 6. The permissions for /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio*, and /dev/mixer* keep > getting set back to rw by root only. I had them setup so all could use > them (chmod a_rw ...). It appears to happen after a reboot and I > understand it may be related to some scripts called givedesktop and > takedesktop but I can't find the scripts. > /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole and /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole (note the capitalisation) HTH Pam -- UK Linux Step by Step mirror: http://www.pam.roberts.btinternet.co.uk/sxs/ ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde-linux mailing list. Account management: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.