List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2006-07-11 11:24:42

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:11:35PM +0200, Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org wrote:
> We already had this discussion here. And we all came to conclusion
> that Rosetta has no real use for us.
>
> Did anyone tried to contact them and explain this issues?

anyone want to.

> As I told last time, Rosetta should offer possibility only for the
> files that owner of distro DEVELOPES! If you are not developing the
> application, you cannot take over it localization. Unles there is no
> guided localization programm for the application.

Restricting translating only to programmers won't end up with a lot of
translations, although I don't think that's what you're saying.

> There is one more thing about distributing Rosetta translations. It is
> the same as saying "Your application is OK, but your translations
> suck. We have our own, thanks, bye-bye".

Hardly, all Rosetta work should be about filling in gaps in
translations.  Where teams have changed the work of an upstream
they'll be rightly scorned.

> We gotta stick together, but Rosetta looks to me like a hedgehog -
> cute, but you don't want to stick with it.

I laughed at that :)

Jonathan