List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and
From:       "Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org" <renato () translator-shop ! org>
Date:       2006-07-11 12:06:44

Hello Jonathan,

>> As I told last time, Rosetta should offer possibility only for the
>> files that owner of distro DEVELOPES! If you are not developing the
>> application, you cannot take over it localization. Unles there is no
>> guided localization programm for the application.

> Restricting translating only to programmers won't end up with a lot of
> translations, although I don't think that's what you're saying.

No, of course not! I was thinking along the line that a programmer is
(or has another) person that coordinates transalting effort (like
here). It is always such case with larger products. You do not
translate any kind of manual (or anything) without the knowledge of
developer - otherwise how is a developer going to explain that he is
not responsible for a third-party project?

>> There is one more thing about distributing Rosetta translations. It is
>> the same as saying "Your application is OK, but your translations
>> suck. We have our own, thanks, bye-bye".

> Hardly, all Rosetta work should be about filling in gaps in
> translations.  Where teams have changed the work of an upstream
> they'll be rightly scorned.

It SHOULD, yes, but I am curerntly working with a files that were
translated in a same manner that Rosetta offers - they are awful!

I would rather have to fill in an abyss, than to walk through such
countryside. I loose more time fixing errors (gramatical, technical
and mainly consistency) that doing any actual transaltion.

None of the previos translator EVER BOTHERED to check up how some term
was previosly translated or even spelled! One file had SIX
translators, and each of them used "his/hers own lingo". You can feel
the transitions as you go through the file.

I am afraid this is going to happen with files in Rosetta.

>> We gotta stick together, but Rosetta looks to me like a hedgehog -
>> cute, but you don't want to stick with it.

> I laughed at that :)

> Jonathan

I had a coupl of hedghogs living near my house :)

--
Best regards,
 Renato

mailto:renato@translator-shop.org