List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Vedran Ljubovic <vedran-liste () smartnet ! ba>
Date:       2006-07-11 18:14:55

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 05:50, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
> Until Ubuntu is working together with official translation team, any
> translation only done in Ubuntu will be discarded and replaced when the
> official team  is committing their translation upstream. Ubuntu
> translator will be wasting their time and effort translating something
> that will not be included upstream.

The thing is, Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) don't care the least bit about
that! They are working to improve their distro and don't care what happens to
other distros / upstream.

Say, for example, that there was one string that your team translated between
KDE 3.5.2 and 3.5.3. If Ubuntu used kde.org translations like every other
distro, that string would be untranslated because they have a slightly older
version of KDE. But in this way the string could be translated by a naive
Rosetta user and so Ubuntu has better translations than everyone else. They
don't care that the string will be lost as soon as they update KDE - they
always have translations at least as good as upstream.

So Canonical is consciously sacrificing hours of translation work for a
minuscule benefit of their proprietary distro. Nothing new...

(Yes, our team was harmed by Rosetta as well)

--
Bosnian l10n Team
http://l10n.linux.org.ba