List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and
From:       "Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org" <renato () translator-shop ! org>
Date:       2006-07-11 11:11:35

Hello Burkhard,

We already had this discussion here. And we all came to conclusion
that Rosetta has no real use for us.

Did anyone tried to contact them and explain this issues?

Myself, I am against it in the form it currently has. Above all
problems, Rosseta is in the wrong place, and in the wrong time. And we
all know that.

It is not even close to be considered as a booth camp or recruiting
ground for translators. Dunno about you all, but I have no time to
browse their work. I can hardly keep up with my own tasks here.

As I told last time, Rosetta should offer possibility only for the
files that owner of distro DEVELOPES! If you are not developing the
application, you cannot take over it localization. Unles there is no
guided localization programm for the application.

There is one more thing about distributing Rosetta translations. It is
the same as saying "Your application is OK, but your translations
suck. We have our own, thanks, bye-bye".

I always condsidered the translations as an important part of the
application itself. If programmer takes seriosly his work, why should
not I as well?

Or even more important argument: Strongest point any linux-hater has
is no more difficult use, but "too many weird apps with similiar, hard
to pronounce names". Commoners like plain look than Win (or Mac) has,
and that's a fact we cannot disregard. (commoners, not experienced
linux users!)

So, are we going to add to their arguments with further out-branching,
this time with translations?

We gotta stick together, but Rosetta looks to me like a hedgehog -
cute, but you don't want to stick with it.

BR
Renato
Croatia

--