List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.3 POT files?
From:       Steve Murphy <murf () e-tools ! com>
Date:       2005-05-26 12:12:20

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 12:39 +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> By the way: the classical pitfall when doing early tests and demos is not to
> have translated the application that you are running.
>
> KDE does not only needs kdelibs.po and kio.po but also the .po file of the
> currently running application. Otherwise it considers the application has
> untranslated and displays everything in American English.
>
> (However you can have a fake translation of the application, like copying the
> British English translation or making our own fake translation with the
> Gettext toool msgen.)
>
> Have a nice day!

Thanks for the tip--

I have checked out and updated the templates from svn, and then
generated po files for everything. I then formed a compendium from all
the strings from all the projects thus far translated. OpenOffice 1.x,
OpenOffice 2.x, Mozilla, Firefox, etc, and then merged with every PO
file. Overall 13% translation so far. messages had almost 19%
translated. docmessages had only slightly more than 4%. The translators
promise me they will have the rest of kdelibs done today. I have over
80% so far now. The remaining strings might make a 1% difference, might
not. I hope to see 60% fuzzy messages, of varying usefulness.

The plan is to take the 3.3 POT/PO set, and apply the same compendium. I
don't expect to get the same percentages, but won't mind if we only drop
a few percent. Some apps get higher percentages of translation than
others. We'll probably stick with the ones that are higher. We may have
to spot translate a few very visible strings to make it look better. In
the desktop arena we are just starting, but of course, the desire is to
impress, not depress!

And, in the words of a past boss, who lost power during an on-site demo
to a customer, unruffled, pointing to the blank screen:

"Now, imagine we had power, and you are trying to ....

;^)

murf

--
Steve Murphy <murf@e-tools.com>
Electronic Tools Company

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]