List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-10-26 16:35:50

On Sunday 26 October 2003 16:12, Andrea Rizzi wrote:
> I simply said that the "new directory" create a "folder icon" is not an
> argument to change  "directory" to "folder" everywhere.
> Personally I agree that changing "directory" to "folder" whenever
> possible, is good for usability (so it is "Create new folder").
> In the "home directory" context it seems that "home folder" is not so
> good, in kde-core-devel thread about "Home Folder" only Craig (and last
> Waldo mail) seem to be for "Home folder" while many others  think that
> "home directory" is too related to the OS (and so much used, see Dirk
> mail)  and should remain... but it is already moved to "Home folder"
> (see kuser.po).

Consistency is a must in usability. If you are adopting "folder", then use
"folder" everywhere. Using "directory" in some cases will lead to a
inconsistent desktop, what is not the goal of KDE.

If there are going to be exceptions, maybe it is better to revert all
changes, thus having a consistent environment (with "directory" refering o
filesystem entities and "folder" refering to virtual non-fs related
directories).

I agree that saying that "new directory" creates a "folder icon" is not an
argument for changing  "directory" to "folder" everywhere. However, as
usability tests pointed out, users feel confused by 'directory'.

Both 'directory' and 'folder' are abstractions to the concept. 'Folder'
seems easier for potential users to understand. That's why I think the
choice of 'folder' was correct. BTW, a globe icon is also a good metaphor
to the Internet, so there's no need to change it.

This discussion is becoming off-topic for this list. If you feel the need
for continuing it, feel free to post to kde-usability (or even to me
directly).

Thank you for your time.

--
	Henrique Pinto