List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-10-26 16:04:26

On Sunday 26 October 2003 15:41, Andrea Rizzi wrote:
> it is so strange that the standard symbol for directory is a folder?

Actually, yes. Although I, personally, prefer the term 'directory', I
believe the adoption of the term 'folder' by the KDE project was correct,
as it was pointed out in many usability tests that novice users feel more
comfortable with that term.

My own experience has proven me that new users get confused by the term
'directory', including both people who never used computers before and
people with previous experience with OSes such as MacOS and MS-Windows.

By the way, the decision has already been taken, and has already been
implemented in the project. People waited a lot of time before starting
the changes, it wasn't something done without discussion.

If you want to revert the changes, then please do a complete usability
study proving that the usability of KDE is deteriorated by the adoption of
the term 'folder' as reference to filesystem objects previously known by
"directories".

"I don't like.." or "it looks weird" arguments are simply useless.

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@uai.com.br