List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] Dedicated game servers
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-04-11 21:21:39

I remember the discussion a while ago on the network class for libkdegames
and that it was decided not to focus on dedicated servers but to keep the
current model where the application itself is also the server.

I argued in favour of the dedicated server method because I am developing
such a game, but now I would like to add my thoughts as a user:

After playing a few games I noticed the current model hardly works: you can
only play against friends who are on-line. If noone is on-line, I can not
play the game - or only against a boring computer. This is one of the
reasons why I use the on-line Hearts game on
http://vex.net/hearts/hearts.html and not the KDE application.

It would be more fun if I could just select a server and see if other KDE
users are interested in playing a game at that time. This would make the
networking option a lot more valuable.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.net cap@capsi.co.uk