List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Dedicated game servers
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-04-11 23:04:57

On Wed 11 Apr 2001 23:21 Rob Kaper wrote:
> It would be more fun if I could just select a server and see if other KDE
> users are interested in playing a game at that time. This would make the
> networking option a lot more valuable.

The GGZ Gaming Zone is currently ported to KDE (which is my job, so flame me
for it being so slow). There will be sort of compatibility in the kgame lib,
so if nothing goes wrong games with such an option can also be played over
the internet on game servers.

I had several requests for tutorials and APIs for that purpose, however the
whole thing is not ready yet. This is what has been done up to now:
	Krosswater - works, but rarely tested yet
	KDots - works on clients side, server side will follow this week
	Gathering (Qt) - experimental
	KReversi - works (done by Ismael Orenstein as a port of the Gtk+ version)
	KTicTacTux - works on client side
	Kutter - frozen, because it would duplicate KBattleship

Other games like NetSpades or Chess still don't have any KDE version.

Some external games like GBatNav already support the --ggz option to switch
internally to GGZ C/S mode, however there are no KDE games yet, but I will
provide KTicTacTux as an example for this one too.

Josef

--
The MindX Project - http://mindx.sourceforge.net
student - js177634@inf.tu-dresden.de