List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] Client-Master
From:       Andreas Beckermann <b_mann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-11 21:59:44

Hi all
Ok here are some results afer our discussion:
I ported KGame to a client-master conecpt as originally proposed by Burkhard.
All communication is done via the new KGameCommunicationServer which does
nothing but forwarding the messages to all clients.
For a lot of information please read my CVS log message - I don't want to
type it again here ;)
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=98702550910319&w=2

Note: you don't have to care about KGameCommunicationServer. It is started
automatically by KGameNetwork::setGameMaster(true) and deleted by
KGameNetwork::connectToServer(...).

The current computer(process) player is broken now :-(
I will rewrite KGameProcessIO::writeBuffers() which should fix it but is
still some work.
The KGameClient*s in general are a little bit redesigned. You can create one
of KGameClient[Local,Socket,Process] and send messages through
KGameClient::sendMessage - messages are received by signalReceiveMessage.

There are still a lot of bugs as the desing change is quite enormous. You
have to send the message only once now (before: send via netowork and
calculate locally). But you have to react to the message in your
receiveMessage() function. The ComServer forwards messages to all clients,
even the sender.

Burkhard: Do you still want to port libkdegames to QSocket instead of
KSocket? If so then KGameClientSocket is the place for you :-)
You won't break anything except network games now - ie you don't have to care
about the process player anymore. The port should be a lot easier now :-)

Comments and flames are welcome.

CU
Andi