List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 19:09:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Parker Coates wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 14:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > the user community is making a bed for itself that i don't think it's
> > going to want to lie in.
>
> I think more accurate portrayal might be "A relatively small number of
> ingrates is pissing in the bed the whole user community is forced to
> share."

when one developer does something unfortunate in public, it's the entire
project that is held responsible for it. that's probably fair, and it ensures
that we care about keeping some level of support there for each other so that
we are all on the same page and not making too many repeat mistakes. it also
means that when one of us screws up (it happens, we're all human), a bunch of
us go into fix-it mode.

contrast this with the user situation.

when one (or a few) users do something unfortunate in public, it's always
"those few users". i don't buy that anymore.

there is a user community that revolves around KDE which has a lot of
interaction with us. they are a special group of people who care a lot about
f/oss and KDE in particular and spend time interacting with others in the KDE
world. that's undeniably GREAT.

but it's a community not unlike the developer community in terms of shared
responsibility and coherence.

right now the development community is expected to manage those users and
that's really not possible as it ends up exposing us-them lines (users -
developers), nor is it fair to the developers who are already fairly busy
making the software and managing the development community.

we have the community working group, and it's a great huge first step. it
would be awesome to see more of the involved user community start to take into
consideration that there's a shared responsibility here amongst all of those
people. if it's a few people pissing in the bed, those laying in that bed
ought to do something about it. if nobody does anything about it, then it
isn't just a few people pissing in the bed, it's everybody.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se