List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       Parker Coates <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-04 18:27:45

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 14:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> most important is to realize that this is a shared item we're using. if i want
> my very own thing, i have the source code to make my own special thing.
> otherwise, i'm sharing this software with millions of others and i have to
> remember that and take into consideration that sharing it with everyone means
> compromise at times

Unfortunately, these squeaky wheels (especially within the KDE
community) seem to have a consistent, readymade reply whenever the
compromise card is played. "Add a configuration option! There's no
need to ever compromise if we just add new features and make them
optional." And of course, responding that extra configuration options
add cost in terms of UI simplicity, code complexity, developer effort
and consistency, is almost always met with accusations of becoming
"Gnomish", whatever that means. This repeats with great regularity.

Such vocal, demanding users are without a doubt, the biggest challenge
the KDE community has to overcome (or circumvent).

> the user community is making a bed for itself that i don't think it's going to
> want to lie in.

I think more accurate portrayal might be "A relatively small number of
ingrates is pissing in the bed the whole user community is forced to
share."

The real challenge here is that these people typically believe they're
fighting to help KDE. Despite the obvious problems with their outlook,
attitudes and methods, their underlying intentions are good. And that
gives them a lot more staying power than your average "kde sux!!!"
troll.

Rantingly yours,

Parker