List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kde4 speed tips - got any?
From:       Andrew Mason <slackmase2 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-12 10:54:17

First of all, I know the original post sounded a bit trollish but I
think it was genuine. I have 2 Nvidia cards 8400,5200, 2 Intel cards
(X3100 and X4500 ) and an AMD (something purchased about 1 year ago)
and although KDE 4 isn't slow, it's not "as fast / snappy as kde3" on
any of those setups. So while this still may be a graphics driver
issue, I don't know that many people, at least at the moment , will
have KDE4 instance as responsive as KDE3 still is. Resizing panels in
amarok and kmail are pretty  obvious examples of this.

I also find both Krunner, konqueror and kmail having a little pause in
the middle of text entry. This occurs for me on all of my systems,
less so on the 4.3beta but its still present. I think this may suggest
that some of these applications maybe waiting on disk access in areas
where they could possibly do this asynchronously. While the operation
wouldn't be faster it would 'feel' faster.