List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-12 4:59:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 12 July 2009 00:18:11 Michael Howell wrote:
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 12:18:14 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > You're aware that this is what Michael (Pyne) is after all over the
> > time?!
>
> Please tell me. What are we arguing about, if we all agree with that patch?

It's bikeshedding man, we have to argue.  Or in short a week ago I was under
the impression that no one actually used or wanted to use decimal units.  So I
thought everyone pushing to ban the traditional way to use KB/MB were
essentially just doing it to be schmucks (since after all, they already had
KiB/MiB to use).

I've since learned a bit and since about 5-6 days ago or so I've been in
support of adding decimal units if users want them.  But then I still had to
press the case for users who really would just rather have their standard
units back (especially given those units have a standard too!  Who knew? :)
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC_memory_standards#JEDEC_Standard_100B.01
for more details).

> Okay. So you're proposing that the patch be modified to provide the
> following. 1) IEC KiB (default)
> 2) IEC kB
> 3) Traditional KB

I've submitted a much revised patch to kde-core-devel that does exactly that.
As far as I'm concerned this thread is done.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne