List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 and the nvidia driver
From:       Thomas Holzmann <holzi1 () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-07-13 21:22:47

Pierre schrieb:
> On Sunday 13 July 2008 21:00:17 Erik de Groot wrote:
>
>> Indeed it is a very good idea to put experiences of people on a wiki
>> because we cannot expect people to crawl through mailing lists to get the
>> best nvidia driver settings once KDE 4.1 is out in the field. When they
>> have no access to information on this in a reasonably comfortable way, they
>> will definitively blame KDE for this problem.
>>
> I suggest we should do even more : put at least a link to this information in
> the KDE 4.1 release note, and clearly explain that the nvidia driver has
> problems, and that it's not KDE's fault (that's what some people said on
> nvnews forum...)

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I also first thought that KDE
4.1 isn't well optimized. I searched in the web for some optimization
tweaks but didn't find much. I thought ok, its a beta version and the
problems might be fixed in the 4.1 release.

Then I looked at the kde-devel list and found out that's a nvidia
problem. But I only know this now because I'm reading the kde-devel list
from time to time. An average user won't do that...