List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: using kde-config for KDE detection
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-04-30 16:32:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 18:17, Karol Pietrzak wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I've got two questions relating to kde-config:
> 1. When did kde-config start appearing in KDE installations?  I seem to
> have found references online mentioning it in KDE 3.0.3 installations.  Has
> it existed all the way back to 3.0.x?

Yes, according to http://tinyurl.com/feg8l it has been tagged with
KDE_3_0_RELEASE

> 2. Is using kde-config reliable?  SuSE Linux puts kde-config in the kdelibs
> package, so it is always present when KDE is installed.
> However, I'm sure there is some distribution out there that puts kde-config
> into a -devel package or something.  Anyone know off-hand of any such
> complications?

That would be pretty stupid, as it is not a development related tool but
rather meant to be used in KDE related shell scripts or similar, often used
by system administrators.

At least nowadays it is also used in the KDE startup script startkde, so
kdebase would depend on a devel package which I find pretty unlikely.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>