List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font embedding -- TrueType
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2003-08-18 5:47:25

On Thursday 14 August 2003 19:33, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Looking into the bug. I agree that we should try to find out the correct
> > PS font name from the font file if possible. Unfortunately on a lot of
> > systems with server side fonts or a font server this is impossible. So we
> > have to keep our heuristic name generation.
>
> My theory here is that if the fonts are on the screen, you should be able
> to get the font file to read the PS font name.

No. Think about a system with a remote font server. The font server can
deliver bitmaps for xlfd fonts it exports, but we have no way at all to get
access to the font file.

> It was my understanding that if you have FontConfig and FreeType2 that you
> can get the font file location from FontConfig and then a FreeType2 call
> can get the PS font name -- at least on a desktop system.  If not with a
> font server, then improvements need to be made there so the job would be
> simple.

You are right when talking about Xft fonts. For font servers I don't see a
solution, since I doubt you'll get anyone to make changes to the font server
protocol to support querying of raw font data.

Lars