List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font embedding -- TrueType
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-21 8:36:36

Lars Knoll wrote:

> No. Think about a system with a remote font server. The font server can
> deliver bitmaps for xlfd fonts it exports, but we have no way at all to get
> access to the font file.

I don't have a network, so I must admit that I have no idea how a font
server works with FontConfig.  But, I would guess that you need to tell
FontConfig the network directories for the fonts -- using NFS or something.
   Read only access is/should be OK as long as FontConfig is running on the
server as well.  If you don't do this, you are only going to have
bit-mapped fonts and NO FreeType2 and NO AA. :-(

>>It was my understanding that if you have FontConfig and FreeType2 that you
>>can get the font file location from FontConfig and then a FreeType2 call
>>can get the PS font name -- at least on a desktop system.  If not with a
>>font server, then improvements need to be made there so the job would be
>>simple.
>

> You are right when talking about Xft fonts. For font servers I don't see a
> solution, since I doubt you'll get anyone to make changes to the font server
> protocol to support querying of raw font data.

Although it is my understanding that FontConfig provides the full path font
name, there is a FreeType library call so if you have the font open in
FreeType2, raw access shouldn't actually be needed (if that matters).

In any case, I have a patch for Qt-3.1.2 that works on my single user
system -- produces the correct PostScript font names when you don't embed
the fonts.  See attached.  But, I found an additional bug.  The PS files
produced by Qt contain a list of fonts for backup (is this necessary?).  It
appears that the wrong PS name is part of the list:

% Fonts and encodings used
/TimesNewRomanPSMTList [
[ /TimesNewRomanPSMT 1.0 0.0 ]
   [ /TimesNewRomanPs 1.0 0.0 ]
   [ /Helvetica 0.987 0.0 ]
] d

Clearly, "TimesNewRomanPs" is wrong.  And, why is the backup Helvetica
rather than: "Times-Roman"?  Is it the "Ps"?  if so, simple fix.

--
JRT